16 February 2010

Reviews of Things That Have Been Out For Ages, Just 'Cos I Like To...

So, I haven't been writing in a while, and I think that's mostly because I don't feel like writing about the things that have been happening in my life (obviously enough, I know), but I've decided to pierce the blogosphere once again with a few reviews of things that i found interesting lately. Enjoy, or alternatively, memorise it and recite it aloud in front of a group of people and call it art. I won't judge how you amuse yourself.

FTWebsites: Stuff I've found on this here internet...

Somewhere that usually cheers me up when I get tired of the same old stuff on Facebook is a nice little parody site of it called Lamebook. In a similar vein to TFLN (another stalwart mirth-giver in times of boredom), it chronicles the various mishaps that one could imagine transpiring on such a vast social networking site as that of Facebook. A personal favourite section of mine is the "FTW" section. Watching random people you don't know get their asses digitally handed to them is a fun way to waste a few minutes.

FTWatch This: Films...

Office Space, one of the greatest cult classics to come out of the 1990s. It stands up there beside Big Nothing and Dogma as one of the greatest films to be either underrated or unknown on this side of the Atlantic. Office Space is the story of Peter Gibbons, a white collar worker who does the bare minimum to keep his job. He then experiences a re-awakening, and decides to live life, and not care about work as well as hatching a plan to embezzle money from the company he does so little work for. The resultant hour and a half of film is one of the most re-watchable, entertaining, and charming pieces of film I've ever seen, word of warning though, if dry humour and awkward moments aren't your thing it's probably best to give this one a miss. Sample quote:

Peter Gibbons: So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.
Dr. Swanson: What about today? Is today the worst day of your life?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah.
Dr. Swanson: Wow, that's messed up.

Also, as a closing note to the film section, I'd like to add that I got my hands on a copy of the film of "Atlantis" by Disney, to show someone what I meant by the phrase "Steampunk". While I didn't find anything that really resembled steampunk (I remembered after it was actually "Treasure Planet" I was thinking of, but that's another story), what I did find was a Disney classic that is oft overlooked, possibly because it doesn't have any musical numbers. The whole movie was superbly animated, moved at a steady pace, was genuinely funny and left me wanting more at the end. If you get the time, I'd strongly recommend it.

FTWritings: Literary section, 'coz i iz awl ejukaytid innit?

Okay, so as most of you know, I am obsessed by this little book called "The Yesman", by a certain fellow whom we shall address as one Daniel Frederick Wallace Esquire. Danny has written a few books, each as humorous as the last, and all of them well worth a look if the mood for a side split inducing read should strike, but The Yesman strikes a particular chord with me. It may have been the place I was in when reading it first, but it really made me look at my life, take stock and realise that I needed to do more. And what I needed to do was to say Yes. But back to the book: Danny finds himself in a position wherein he is saying no to everything his friends suggest, be it gigs, parties or just a night down the pub, greatly disquiets our positive hero as he reviews his diary to find it lacking in any days of noteworthy quality (save for one riveting read about a trip to PC World, but I'll let you read about that one yourselves). He then by chance meets a stranger on a bus who tells him simply to "Say Yes More". This becomes Danny's mantra for the next several months and through the course of the book. While the film of the same name was a fun romp into the various mishaps one would doubtless meet over the course of saying yes to absolutely everything, it missed out on the true soul of the book for me, which is that saying no can only lead to nights alone, and wondering what could have been, whereas yes, if it doesn't lead to something good, at least leads to a story to tell and a more interesting life. My all time favourite book, so it goes without saying that I would wish that anyone who reads this read it, and if they get even a fraction of the enjoyment out of it that I did, then I'll be happy I recommended it.

FTWhatever, I'm sick of this now: Music, and sounds that please the ears...

Yes she's been around for ages, and yes we all know she's wonderful, but Adele... what can I say about this girl that hasn't already been said? Her music is just so awe inspiring and soothing that I could listen to it forever. I don't think I can say much more about her, but I will leave you with the song that got me (and possibly the majority of people) listening to her in the first place.

1 comment: